We are in hurricane season, and your Lock insurance independent insurance agent reminds you that thousands of folks failed to take even basic precautions before past storms rolled ashore and blew or washed away millions of dollars in property. Don’t be one of those unfortunate people when the next hurricane blows through.
Here are some valuable pre-storm planning tips:
- Listen to a National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) weather radio for critical information from the National Weather Service (NWS).
- Stock or replace your disaster supplies.
- Bicycles, lawn furniture, and any other items outside that can be picked up by the wind should be stored indoors.
- Close your windows, doors, and hurricane shutters. If you do not have hurricane shutters, close and board up all windows and reinforce doors with plywood.
- Turn your refrigerator and freezer to the coldest setting. If the power goes out, keep them closed as much as possible, so food will last longer.
- Turn off propane tank.
- Unplug all small appliances.
- Fill your car’s gas tank.
- Create an evacuation plan. Your household members should rehearse the evacuation plan to minimize confusion and fear during the event.
- Find out about your community’s hurricane response plan. Not only should you plan routes to local shelters, but you also should register family members with special medical needs.
- Make arrangements for the care of your pets.
- Obey evacuation orders. Avoid flooded roads and washed out bridges.
For even more information, visit the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) website for hurricane preparedness at http://www.ready.gov/hurricanes.
Don’t forget that a significant amount of hurricane damage arises from flooding, not from high winds. Flooding can be caused by wind-driven waves and storm tides or massive amounts of rain overflowing rivers, streams and local lakes. For full protection against both wind and water, you will need to obtain a flood policy in addition to your homeowners insurance. Not to worry: Lock insurance is your Trusted Choice agent stands ready to assist you. Also be sure to ask for additional safety planning tips and a full review of your current insurance, with options for other potential coverage gaps and needs. We have a multitude of services designed specifically to provide you peace of mind when it comes to risk of loss of your valuable and treasured possessions.